Dogs' Dales Augmented Reality Study
Virpi Kettu - Kettu Studios
Karen Merrifield - Great Place-Lakes and Dales (GPLD)
Looking for study volunteers and game testers
For enquires and to get involved please email:
Where the study happens:
In Skipton Town Centre
When the study happens:
May 2022 - Late Summer 2022 - Late Summer 2023
Study about the effect of Dogs' Dales AR application
Great opportunity for volunteers to learn about leading edge Augmented Reality (AR) technology on your doorstep in Skipton.
Award winning director and digital artist Virpi Kettu of Skipton-based Kettu Studios is looking for volunteers aged 5 to 70 to help research the impact and potential of her Dogs' Dales Augmented Reality (AR) app when launched in Skipton in May 2022.
This is an ideal opportunity for young and older people interested in working in AR or VR, or anyone with an interest in new technology and how it can be used in storytelling, education, tourism and business.
Dogs’ Dales is:
- An animated TV series that tells the stories of small towns in the Yorkshire Dales, inspired by local folklore, people and locations
- AR mobile trail applications throughout the Dales towns relating to the TV series
- Aimed mainly for children (5-15) and their families
- For local residents and tourism purposes
It is an entertaining and educational story with a game where characters ask exciting heritage questions formed with the help of Skipton Civic Society to inspire people to know and want to learn more about Skipton and local Dales area.
It will extend to other towns and villages in the Dales after this first launch.
The the first app trail game and study is in Skipton.
Kettu Studios is looking for:
5 volunteer researchers to help shape the research project, for total 10 hours/person
and minimum 50 volunteers for a control group/game testing in the research, for total 2 hours/person
Project stakeholders are:
Skipton Town Hall
Skipton Civic Society
Craven District Council (North Yorkshire Council)
Heritage Action Zone project
Great Place-Lakes & Dales
For enquiries and to register your interest please email directly to :
June 2022 - August 2022
June 2023 - August 2023
- During the spring 2022 Study Volunteers will help Kettu Studios to format the study questionnaire and plan for the timetable and locations of other volunteers
- A field study in Skipton Town centre handing out the questionnaires to the tourists and local residents > collecting data about the town centre without the Dogs' Dales AR application
- Defined control group > handing out questionnaires > collecting data
- Dogs' Dales AR app game testing before Launch in April (DTC)
- During the end of summer 2022 Study Volunteers will help Kettu Studios in a field study in Skipton Town centre handing out the questionnaires to the tourists and local residents > collecting data about the town centre with the Dogs' Dales AR application
- Dogs' Dales AR app game playing with control group
- During the end of summer 2023 Study Volunteers will help Kettu Studios in a field study in Skipton Town centre handing out the questionnaires to the tourists and local residents > collecting data about the town centre with the Dogs' Dales AR application after a year on operation
- Collating all the available data about the social and economic effects of the Dogs' Dales AR application